Thursday, December 3, 2009

Explosions in the Sky

The track "Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean" by Explosions in the Sky has long been one of my favorite songs. After having this band recommended to me by a friend, I did some exploring on YouTube and found a few videos of them performing life and was immediately hooked. I have since purchased all of their albums and seen them in concert.

Even though their songs have no vocals, they still manage to evoke emotions from the listener. This particular song features their signature guitar work and manages to portray as sense of melancholy throughout. After further investigation, I discovered that the song was inspired by the sinking of the Russian submarine Kursk, which was stranded at the bottom of the sea, before finally all of its crew succumbed to death.

While this gave the song an added depth, it is not what drew me to the song initially. The guitar work is so moving, that I don't ever notice that the song is absent of vocals. The instruments alone are so effective in portraying a mood that any attempt at vocalizing this song would ruin it completely. It is the type of song that is best listened to with headphones, eyes closed, and the light out.

No comments:

Post a Comment